“People do not decide their futures, they decide their habits and their habits decide their futures.”F.Matthias Alexander
Like anything of significance, the realization of one’s ultimate happiness is a habit. Being happy begins with a choice but to reach the level of true, lasting, and meaningful happiness, requires habitual focus and effort.
Making a habit out of happiness makes us robust against external forces that make our happiness resilience waiver. It is well and good to decide “I am happy”, and indeed you must make this decision but what happens at the first sign of resistance. You get fired, you get sick, you lose someone you cared about, your home gets destroyed. This type of thing and worse will happen to you and they have the power to make you unhappy unless you are in the habit of persevering in happiness.
Remember that being truly happy does not mean you never experience sorrow. It is knowing how to navigate sorrow as well as how to properly acquiesce to sorrow as an homage to whatever you may have lost. You should not be naive enough, as you find happiness, that you will always be smiling and joyous. But you will, or can arrive, at a state of lasting happiness that can whether whatever may come by adopting the right habits.
Only you can decide what true happiness means or looks like to you, ergo only you can decide what habits will bring you to your destination. Whatever it means to you, you will need the power of habit to get you there and keep you there.
Some helpful habits worth considering are:
- Exercise – a healthy body allows you to properly enjoy life and leads to a healthy mind
- Meditate – this will help you tune out distractions, learn your higher Self, and feel a sense of peace, focus, and connection
- Sleep – 6-8 hours of sleep benefits your immune system, mood, and physical health. If you do not get adequate sleep, your mind and body will not function adequately.
- Go outside – sunlight boosts vitamin D levels which boosts mood, immune health, mental health, and bodily function. Additionally, being in nature helps remove self imposed distractions and helps us connect with life at a meaningful level.
- Read – read for entertainment, for an escape, for learning, for inspiration, or just for fun. Reading is one of the best ways to learn new ideas and develop your mind.